Learn about Wi-Fi
Not everyone can afford to hire a dedicated WLAN administrator. We would love to help by being your WLAN experts. But, the more you learn about how wireless works the better you will be able to plan, manage, and deploy wireless throughout your organization. And we can still help when you need it.
So, in the spirit of sharing knowledge here are some fantastic resources to learn about wireless.
- First, we would recommend that at the very least you purchase a copy of the CWNA (Certified Wireless Network Administrator) Study Guide. Getting certified is great, but just having the basic understanding of how RF works in your environment will go a long way. And if you have the inclination - get certified!
- Next, whenever you have some free time watch one of the many great videos from CWNPs (Certified Wireless Network Profession) YouTube channel. There's a lot of great information there.
- WLAN Professional Conference - If you can only of to one conference - this is the one. It's a fantastic gathering of wireless professionals with amazing speakers talking about real-life experiences. Meet and network with other WLAN pros from around the world. Fortunately, WLAN Pros post all the videos for free so if you can't make it you can watch videos of all the sessions afterwards. But, being there engaging with the community alone is worth it.
- Aruba Airheads - A great community of user based around Aruba Networks products and solutions. Get questions answered and help others. Even thought it's specific to Aruba Networks there is a lot of great information, white papers, and videos on wireless in general
- Revolution Wi-Fi Blog - Andrew Von Nagy's blog is essential reading for anyone interested in learning about wireless.
- 2.4 Is Dead - White paper by Devin Akin. Start moving to 5Ghz as fast as you can.
- Why One AP Per-Classroom Is Wrong [PDF] - by Keith Parsons. 1 AP per classroom is easy. But, deploying a WLAN without proper design is a recipe for disaster.
- The Ultimate Guide To Modernizing Classroom Wi-Fi by Keith Parson - This is a great webinar hosted by Aruba Networks on wi-fi in the classroom on the fallacy of 1 AP-per-classrrom.
- Understanding common outdoor antenna types and patterns [VIDEO] - via Chuck Lukaszewski, Aruba Networks
- CWNP White-paper on 802.11 Arbitration [PDF] by Marcus Burton - Understand how Wi-Fi actually works. This is the basis of how 802.11 functions. If you don't understand this you won't understand Wi-Fi, period.
- SSID Overhead - How Many SSIDs Are Too Many? by Andrew Von Nagy - Don't let SSID overkill kill your WLAN. Now available as an app on the Apple app store. [Sorry, iPhone only.]
- Capacity Planner FREE Download from Revolution WiFi - Yet another fantastic contribution to the WLAN community by Andrew Von Nagy